This site is for people interested in learning to lead in volatile, uncertain, complex and ambitious environment, in times of rapid change. Leading in this environment is challenging and requires leaders to adopt a new set leadership practices. The purpose of this site is to explore the new and emerging leadership practices required to lead successfully in these fast changing times.
Who is George Ambler?
I work in the information technology industry, as an Executive Partner with Gartner Executive Programs where I act as a trusted adviser to Chief Information Officers across various industries. My focus is on guiding Chief Information Officers in harnessing the strategic value of technology in support of business strategy. I live in Johannesburg, South Africa, I am married with two beautiful children. In my free time, I enjoy travel, music, writing, reading, photography, and golfing.
About Leading in Turbulent Times
The days of stable, predictable and evolutionary change have long gone. We are living in turbulent times, experiencing immense change, the change is happening so fast that we often find ourselves struggling to cope. The leadership style and practices of decades past are often no longer relevant. Rapid change means increased turbulence, a permanent white water, where things are constantly in a state of transition.
In this world of rapid change traditional management has become less and less effective. What’s required is effective leadership. The dramatic pace of change places new demands on leaders, requiring new leadership approaches and practices. The purpose of this blog is to explore new and emerging leadership approaches and practices require to lead successfully in increasingly turbulent times. Within this context, some of key leadership challenges we will be exploring in this blog are as follows:
- What are the new practices and approaches required for leading in turbulent and changing times?
- What in our current leadership approach need to change?
- What new approached can be used to deal with the wicked problems and paradox?
- How can we find opportunity in the midst of the chaos?
- How do leaders balance the art and science of leading in uncertain times?
- How do leaders create a send of meaning, purpose and direction in the midst of all this change?
- How can leaders inspire commitment in a noisy and ambitious world?
- How do we develop leaders who can thrive in this fast changing world?
On this site, you will find:
- Regular posts on all aspects relating to leading effectively in the turbulent and fast changing times in which we live. You can subscribe by RSS to stay up-to-date and be alerted when I post a new article. I typically try to post on a regular basis and you can expect a new article at least once a week.
- Regular Book reviews of thought leaders who can contribute to our conversation. The book reviews are not sponsored and will only feature books that I have personally read and feel will add value and support the leadership focus of this site.
If you are new to this site, there are a number of posts that have proved popular:
- Book Review: The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership
- The Importance of a Clear Leadership Philosophy
- 10 Characteristics of an Effective Vision
- Busy is Killing Leadership
- 10 Great TED Talks for Leaders
- Leadership is Not Title or Position
- Leaders vs Managers Are They Really Different?
- Book Review: The Five Dysfunctions of a Team
- Systems Thinking as a Leadership Practice
- 11 Practices of Collaborative Leaders
This is my personal blog. The opinions I express here do not necessarily represent those of my employer Gartner Africa. The information I provide is on an as-is basis. I make no representations as to accuracy, completeness, correctness, suitability, or validity of any information on this blog and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its use.
If you’d like to comment on any posts on there is a Comments Policy which will be of use.