Leadership is not about your position, title, personality, traits, skills or competencies. Leadership is about being deeply connected to a purpose and vision you care about and then working to make it happen. It’s that simple and that difficult!
“So the ‘how-to’ books and the ‘great-men’ books give people a formula that is missing the most critical ingredient that the great people had, which was they took a stand for something and did what ever had to happen.” – Richard Pascale, Associate Fellow, Oxford University
Leadership begins when you choose to take a stand for something you care about, something that matters to you.
- Leadership begins when you know what you care about.
- Leadership begins when you know the difference you want to make in the world.
- Leadership begins when you’re clear about your great work.
- Leadership begins when you become connected to your purpose.
This is where your leadership begins when you’re clear about your great work. You cannot lead without getting clear as to what you care about and what’s important to you. You will never become a leader chasing things that you don’t care about.
“Life is too short not to do something that matters.” – Hugh Macleod
Do you have this kind of clarity? Do you know your purpose and your great work? If not why don’t you consider taking the following steps:
- Pause. Take some time out over the next week or two to get clear on your great work. Get clear on what your care about. Get clear as to what really matter to you.
- Write. Nothing brings clarity and commitment like writing your down your thoughts and ideas. Commit your current understanding of your purpose and great work to paper.
- Act. What are the 2 – 3 most important actions you can take as a step towards your purpose and great work?