We can learn about leadership formally, through training or informally through conversation. There are times when opportunities to engage with successful leaders present themselves unexpectedly. How many of us make productive use of these opportunities? If you were invited to meet a successful leader over lunch, what questions you would ask him or her?
“how people learn, how they learn to lead, and how organisations help or hinder the process – or, to put it succinctly, how people become leaders“.
The questions are interesting, and worth using as a tool when we have the opportunity to spend time with a respected leader. So the next time you find yourself withe a leaders you respect why not consider asking them the following questions.
- What do you believe are the qualities of leadership?
- What experiences were vital to your development?
- What were the turning points in your life?
- What role has failure played in your life?
- How did you learn?
- Are there people in your life, or in general, whom you particularly admire?
- What can organisations do to encourage or stifle leaders?
As leaders we need to take responsibility for our learning and growth. One of the greatest learning opportunities is when we can learn from other great leaders.
What questions do you use to learn from other leaders? Perhaps you would like to share them with us by leaving a comment?