“A desk is a dangerous place from which to view the world.” – John Le Caré
The Leadership Insight
One of the dangers faced by leaders is isolation from the people they lead. Too busy to take the time to really listen, too distracted to notice what’s happening around them and too rushed to reflect on what really matters, this quickly escalates to create the trap of isolation. You cannot lead people without getting involved. When leaders fail to spend sufficient time their people, they loose touch with the key issues of the day. When leaders remain behind their desks they loose touch with reality, unable to articulate what’s on the hearts and minds of their people. This results in slow decision making and delayed action. Unless leaders have insight into their people’s hearts and minds they will……
- Fail to create a shared vision….
- Fail to communicate effectively….
- Fail to bring about change……
- Fail to take effective action….
Ultimately they will fail to lead!
- How much time are you spending with the people you lead?
- Do you know what’s on their heart and minds?