Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam – former President of India – gave a lecture titled “Creative Leadership in the Global Knowledge Economy” in which Dr. Kalam suggests that corporations and nations need a new kind of leader – the creative leader. So what is a creative leader? Dr. Kalam’s provides the following eight principles for creative leaders:
- The leader must have a vision for the organization
- The leader must have the passion to transform that vision into action
- The leader must be able to travel into an unexplored path
- The leader must know how to manage both success and failure
- The leader must have the courage to make decisions
- The leader should have nobility in management
- Every action of the leader should be transparent
- The leader must work with integrity and succeed with integrity
Without the courage to explore innovative approaches to solving the challenges of today we will end up in applying old solutions to new problems. History has proven this as an ineffective. approach Creative leadership requires leaders who will travel the unexplored path when everyone is playing it safe, to blaze new trails. Creative leadership demands courage. Courage to challenge the status quo, to pursue the unexplored path with transparency and integrity.
Turbulent times demands creative leaders who exhibit the principles described by Dr. Kalam. Looking at these principles can you identify those creative leaders around you? Finding it difficult? That’s because creative leaders are in short supply!
- Which of the principles are characteristics of your leaders?
- Which requires more work?
- What steps can your take to be more of a creative leader?